As an association, CNHED has achieved successes that would be impossible for a single organization. In support of and through the hard work of our members:
- CNHED generated the political will for the District to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in additional local funding for affordable housing and economic development programs that work, including $100 million annually for the Housing Production Trust Fund, the lynchpin to creating and preserving affordable housing in DC; and, in Fiscal Year 2019, $63 million for other affordable housing programs; and nearly $20 million for programs assisting small business.
- For Fiscal Year 2020, CNHED helped to achieve in increases in key housing programs including an increase of $16 million in the Housing Production Trust Fund and for the first time the District Council appropriated the correct funding for the Local Rent Supplement Program required by the statutory requirement to expend 40% of Trust Fund funding for the creation of units to serve households at 0-30 percent (low to extremely-low income individuals) of Area Median Income
- This year, CNHED led the charge for increases in community development programs including $3.497 million for Main Streets, comprehensive program that promotes the revitalization of traditional business districts. Additionally, the Capital Access Fund, which was initially zero’ed in the Mayor’s proposed budget, received funding with the help our advocacy efforts.
- CNHED’s policy efforts lead to system change, such as removing barriers to the success of small and micro businesses in the District. For example, com features a network of fifteen local organizations that provide an expansive array of assistance for small businesses in the District. CNHED and Urban Institute created a District-wide affordable housing preservation strategy, maintain the Preservation Catalog, containing 39,000 units of publicly-assisted affordable housing and launched a new preservation decision-making tool, www.HousingInsights.org.
- CNHED’s Housing For All Campaign engaged more than 4,000 individuals and hundreds of organizations to more effectively participate and lead, building the political will to dramatically increase local appropriations for a continuum of housing that is affordable for residents of low-income. The Campaign also helped institute structural changes for how affordable housing is funded in the District along with engaging residents to hear their concerns about living in DC.
- CNHED launched the DC Community Anchor Partnership, included in the Mayor’s DC Economic Strategy as a high-impact initiative promoting inclusive prosperity. In the initiative’s first phase, we are working with five prominent District universities and hospitals to increase their procurement from District-based minority-owned businesses.
- CNHED’s capacity building efforts have equipped organizations with the resources, information and skills they need to operate more effectively. Our first ever Member Summit was held in January 2019 to extract as much guidance on what our members need and how we can continue to provide information and innovative information.
CNHED continues to distinguish itself by harnessing the differences across our diverse membership and with our allies to create collaboration that results in real solutions for low-moderate income residents of the District. The impact of this engagement translates to strong infrastructure for community development that goes beyond any single organization or individual.
Your contribution makes a difference:
With your support, CNHED will drive toward a vision of the District where all residents are part of thriving, livable communities that are socially, racially, and economically just. CNHED will deliver:
- Transformative and effective policies and efficient programs
- Increased local resources for effective community development programs
- Communications, practical research and information
- Expanded capacity of community developers, service providers, community lenders,
businesses and others to maximize current and future opportunities