Helping Small Businesses
Now is the time for us to come together as a community to support each other, but more importantly, to support our small businesses. There are a multitude of ways we can step up to rally around Small Business: The Heart of DC. CNHED is proudly doing its part by presenting Small Business: The Heart of DC during the month of May. We are partnering with small business support organizations and District agencies to coordinate a month-long virtual experience to help small businesses plan, prepare & p
We invite the small business community to check out the myriad of virtual learning experiences and technical assistance resources, see what businesses are still open, and stay tuned for upcoming announcements about panel discussions and DIY virtual events in May.
Stay informed and Sign Up
|Type of Event||Event||Hosted by||Date||Time||Register|
|Workshop||Harmoney Financial Literacy: Small Business Recovery & the Emotional Impact||Grisel Saez||Tuesday, May 26||11:30 am - 1:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Is Investment Crowdfunding Right for You||Street Entrepreneurs||Monday, May 25||4:00 to 5:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Make Your Website Work for You||Grow with Google||Tuesday, May 26||12:30 to 1:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||What If? What Now? - Business Succession Planning Part 1||The Greater Washington Urban League||Tuesday, May 26||1:00 to 2:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Work for Yourself @ 50+||Latino Economic Development Center||Tuesday, May 26||1:00 to 3:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Online Presence for Small Businesses Workshop Series: Email Marketing||Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce||Tuesday, May 26||11:00 am to 12:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Operational Pitfalls||Street Entrepreneurs||Wednesday, May 27||4:00 to 5:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Building a Business in Your Industry||CHCTDC||Wednesday, May 27||6:00 to 8:00 pm||RSVP|
|Workshop||Cash and Debt in Good and Bad Times||Ascend/UW Foster School of Business||Wednesday, May 27||8:30 to 10:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Online Presence for Small Businesses Workshop Series: Digital Ads||Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce||Thursday, May 28||11:00 am to 12:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||What If? What Now? - Business Succession Planning Part 2||The Greater Washington Urban League||Thursday, May 28||1:00 to 2:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||DC E-Commerce Summit:|
Turning Ideas into Reality: How to Build your E-commerce Business
|Washington DC Economic Partnership||Thursday, May 28||1:15 to 2:15 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||DC E-Commerce Summit: Food and Beverage: When Mom and Pop goes Digital||Washington DC Economic Partnership & LEDC||Thursday, May 28||1:15 to 2:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||DC E-Commerce Summit: Como Construir un Modelo de Negocio Exitoso Para Comercio Electronico (Spanish Only)||Washington DC Economic Partnership & LEDC||Thursday, May 28||1:15 to 2:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||How to Find Opportunities and Test Your Ideas When Existing Assumptions are Challenged||SCORE||Thursday, May 28||2:00 to 3:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||DC E-Commerce Summit: Entrepreneur’s Perspective: The Do’s and Don’ts of Launching your E-commerce Business||Washington DC Economic Partnership & LEDC||Thursday, May 28||2:45 to 3:45 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Learn the Basics of Getting Your Business Online||DC BID Council and LookThink||Thursday, May 28||4:00 to 6:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Use YouTube and Paid Media to Grow Your Business||Grow with Google||Friday, May 29||12:00 1:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Change & Building Equity in your Business||DCRA||Monday, June 1||2:00 to 3:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Sales Strategies for Start Ups||Street Entrepreneurs||Tuesday, June 2||4:00 to 5:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Negotiating with Employees, Vendors, and Other Business Partners||Ascend/UW Foster School of Business||Wednesday, June 3||8:30 to 10:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||How to Finish your Business & Exit||Think Local First||Monday, June 8||2:00 to 3:00 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Inventory and Supply Chain Management in Volatile Times||Ascend/UW Foster School of Business||Wednesday, June 10||8:30 to 10:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||How to Monetize and Reach Customers Online with Google||Grow with Google||Thursday, June 11||5:00 to 6:30 pm||"RSVP"|
|Workshop||Coming to Terms w/ Closing your Business and Next Steps||Small Business Roundtable||Monday, June 15||2:00 to 3:00 pm||"RSVP"|
Participate in a Virtual “DIY” Class
Just because your favorite small business is practicing social distancing doesn’t mean you have to! You can still enjoy your favorite things by virtually attending the following workshops for this week below:
- Baking Series: Focaccia. Sunday, May 31 @ 4:00 pm. Learn the basics of focaccia. Make your own loaf of fluffy focaccia and add some sweet or savory toppings. Registrants will be provided an ingredient list, written instructions, and a video recording of the class. RSVP here.
Follow up for Assistance
Get coaching from local technical assistance organizations on how to run your business safely and efficiently:
- Anacostia Economic Development Corporation. Phone: (202) 889-5100, Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- ARCH Development Corporation. Phone: (202) 889-5000, Email: email@example.com
- Ciocca Center for Principled Entrepreneurship of the Busch School of Business at Catholic University. Phone: (202) 319-5236, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Congress Heights Community Training & Development Corporation. Phone: (202) 563-5200, Email: email@example.com
- DC Procurement and Technical Assistance Center. Phone: (202) 727-3900 [Option #7], Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DC SCORE. Phone: (202) 619-1000, Email: email@example.com
- DC Small Business Development Center. Phone: (202) 806-1550, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- DCWomen’s Business Center. Phone: (202) 393-8307, Email: email@example.com
- Dreaming Out Loud, Inc. Phone: 202-800-2612
- Great Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (GWHCC). Phone: (202) 728-0352, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- H Street Main Street, Inc. Phone: (202) 543-0161, Email: email@example.com
- J Biggins Consulting. Phone: (202) 406-0717, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Life Asset. Phone: (202) 709-0652, Email: email@example.com
- Rhode Island Main Street. Phone: (202) 808-9050, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SB Works. Phone: (202) 803-5400, Email: email@example.com.
- SBA Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center. Phone: (202) 205-8800, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans Business Outreach Center. Phone: (202) 205-6773, Email: email@example.com
- Washington Area Community Investment Fund (Wacif). Phone: (202) 529-5505, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Biz-to-Biz” Friday Gift Card Giveaway
Beginning on Friday May 15, CNHED is kicking-off a “Biz-to-Biz” Friday Gift Card Giveaway. We’re calling all DC small businesses to register in order to participate in this weekly gift card giveaway. We will randomly select 3 businesses to receive a gift card purchased from three different small businesses live via Zoom on Fridays this month. The gift cards will be from local restaurants, community grocers, retail, printing services, and professional services.
There are two ways small businesses can participate:
- CNHED will purchase a gift card from your business to raffle off to another business, and/ or
- You may enter to win a gift card from another business
- All gift cards purchased from participating businesses and winning businesses selected during the live drawing are all done so at random.
- Submissions to enter the raffle end on Thursdays at 5:00 PM EST sharp.
- You only need to enter once, and you will receive an automatic confirmation for your entry. If your name wasn’t called or your business wasn’t chosen to win on a given Friday, your entry will automatically roll over to next week’s pool.
- If you’ve won once, congratulations! You may not enter again.
Announcement of the winners will take place LIVE via Zoom on May 15, May 22 and May 29 at noon. Interested small businesses can register here!